Have you heard about the tiger trout and wondered what exactly is a tiger trout? Is it a real thing? Lets dive in below and take a look at this special fish.
What is a tiger trout?
The tiger trout is a mainly artificially produced sterile hybrid from crossbreeding a male brook trout with a female rainbow trout. Tiger trout can occur naturally where these two fish are found together, but it is extremely rare. Stocking of non-native game fish started in the 1800s, but it wasn’t until 1944 that natural stream born tiger trout were first discovered.
What do tiger trout look like?
Tiger Trout typically have a dark green or brown body with black or dark brown spots on their sides, similar to the markings of a tiger. The underbelly is usually white or light colored. They also have a distinctive pink or red lateral line running along the sides of their body. Tiger Trout can grow up to 20 inches long and weigh up to 4-5 pounds.
What bait do tiger trout eat?
Tiger trout are opportunistic feeders and will eat a variety of baits. Here are some of the best baits to catch tiger trout:
- Minnows: Live or artificial minnows can be very effective in catching tiger trout, especially in the spring and fall when they are spawning.
- Worms: Nightcrawlers, red worms, and other types of worms can also be good baits for catching tiger trout.
- Insects: In the summer, tiger trout may be more interested in insects such as grasshoppers, ants, and beetles.
- Lures: Spinnerbaits, spinners, and small crank-baits can also be effective in catching tiger trout.
- Flies: Many anglers use flies like streamers, nymphs and dry flies to catch tiger trout.
How do you fish for tiger trout?
There are several ways to fish for tiger trout, depending on the conditions and the angler’s personal preferences. The two most popular methods are:
Fly fishing: Since Tiger trout are often found in cold, clear streams and rivers, it makes them easy to catch for fly fisherman using flies, nymphs, etc.
Bank fishing: Using a simple hook and line method with live bait is one of the most common and easiest methods. Most people have access to a dock or shoreline.
What states have tiger trout?
It’s rare to find naturally occurring tiger trout, but they are stocked and can be caught in several states across the United States. Some states that have tiger trout include:
- New York
- North Carolina
Have you caught a tiger trout before? Let us know in the comments below!